Friday, March 2, 2007

Do you believe in God? Cos that's what I'm sellin

I've been meaning to pose this question for a week or so, but this article I read the other day finally reminded me to do so.

What if religion and all the belief that goes with it was proven a hoax; or even some of what we thought we knew was proven as false? What would happen to society - to the human race? For the millions of people who had put their faith in something that isn't real, they would be lost without their beliefs.

Or are we confusing religion with spirituality? Obviously, there are some hardcore religious people out there, who swear they "speak with God" or "know God", but I would be willing to bet that most people are more affected by the spirituality of religion, the feeling of belonging to something bigger than themselves, than the hardcore beliefs that most religious people claim to hold.

I know I have very spiritual moments. However, I don't attribute those moments to a "God" or anything else other than me being in a certain place and time in my life and that it feels special at that moment. Do I attribute this to religion, in the sense that we generally think of? Of course not, however, I do attribute it to a spirituality that I have inside me that keeps me at peace and gives me strength and hope. The difference is that I don’t base it on a far-fetched tale that was told 2,000 years ago to keep people in line.

Consequently, if we’re affected by spirituality more so than “religion”, I’m not sure anything would happen in the long term. The short term might be somewhat chaotic and people would be searching for answers that nobody would have, but I think eventually people could become at peace with who they are, what they believe in. The control that others had on people’s lives would be returned to the individual. Essentially, everyone would be free.

Unfortunately, some many people need guidance and I suppose the downside to this is that those people would be truly lost. What I think would happen to them, is the beginnings of the next, new cult. New leaders would emerge, with new philosophies and for the next however-many-years, people would begin to buy into these beliefs and all of a sudden, poof, we have “religion” again.

So the sad truth is this: despite my dislike for religion, it will not be going anywhere, anytime soon.

8 comments:

Stepping Over the Junk said...

Remember in the old days when a man's "church" was going fishing? It's pretty hard to be comfortable with whatever we want to define as our own belief in God or some sort of higher being that helps us through life. Some just call it "optimism", some believe in prayer to whatever the heck they think is controlling this world. I think if we choose to accept that our beliefs may be everchanging in our lifetime, that will be easiest to cope with. Be open minded and learn as we go and our beliefs will constantly be changing and helping us grow. No right or wrong. (unless you're a judgmental son of a bitch of course!...or married to one)

goal10der said...

My church was never fishing, that's for sure!

Actually, when I was about 19 and started sailboat racing on my dad's boat, that became my "church".

I think I may post more about this instead of writing all in a comment, so keep on the lookout for it!

Adrianne said...

My father told me religion was a form of social control. To some extend I believe that is true. However then unexplained things happen how to do you contemplate between an inner peace and God? I can not wait to read more of the comments that people have to say pertaining to this topic.

CyberKitten said...

Goal10der said: So the sad truth is this: despite my dislike for religion, it will not be going anywhere, anytime soon.

Sad but true I'm afraid. I'm not convinced that people 'need' guidence in the sense I think you mean. Sometimes I think that religion is a form of laziness. After all with ready made 'answers' you do longer have to ponder very much - you just need to accept what you're told on 'faith'. All of a sudden the anxiety of living in a complex world goes away and people are 'happy' and have found 'peace'.

Religion in one form or another will be with us for a very long time - or at least as long as people think that it's just too much trouble working out what's really going on (if anything actually *is* going on!)

goal10der said...

CK said, "Sometimes I think that religion is a form of laziness."

Exactly. It's the easy way out.

I mean, wouldn't we all love to know the answers? Entrusting and believing the answers that others tell you is a dangerous game (see: Bush, George W.). Not considering the alternative makes it even more dangerous for the rest of us (see: Christian right, Islamic extremist).

CyberKitten said...

goal10der said: Not considering the alternative makes it even more dangerous for the rest of us.

Often it seems that either the alternatives are wilfully ignored or actively opposed. There appears to be very little dialoge between the different ideologies and viewpoints. There also appears to be little evidence of a 'live & let live' policy which might go someway towards lowering both the tensions and the body counts.

goal10der said...

CK said: "There also appears to be little evidence of a 'live & let live' policy..."

Don't most religions preach tolerance? Where is the tolerance for other points of view? I tolerate having to listen to people tell me why I should believe in God, yet very few will listen to why I don't.

CyberKitten said...

I think that they fully expect (and demand) us to be tolerant of them... However, I have a feeling that they don't actually understand what toleration means.

I guess that its difficult to be tolerant when your religion tells you that you're right and that everyone else is damned....