Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I was dancing with the queen of New Orleans. Dancing in the streets of New Orleans.

I am sure I’m in the minority in this discussion, as I was in this post, but New Orleans SHOULD NOT be holding any sort of Mardi Gras festivities. I think after only 6 months of “recovery”, this is just not a good idea. Why? Because Hurricane Katrina taught us two major things, 1) the US Gov’t can be one giant bureaucratic fuck up; and 2) New Orleans has some serious racial and economic problems. Bringing a giant party to New Orleans to celebrate is not only rude, but also irresponsible. Seriously, how many people have to die in a major disaster in this country for a party to NOT be thrown? It just reeks of a lack of consideration for those who lost everything they ever had. How would you feel if 6 months after losing what you thought was your life, someone decided to throw a party at your former home? Of course, this is slightly metaphorical and not an exactly what is occurring because we all know the French Quarter was spared, much to the delight of Mardi Gras organizers. Ugh, this just makes me ill that people have the audacity to even consider this event.

The story I linked to in my title shows the other side of the argument, but I still think that those people are just in denial and lack respect.




1 comment:

goal10der said...

Hey Maggie, thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment! It's good to know I'm not alone in this thinking!

Josh