Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Leaving on a jet plane

Something about me and airports I guess!

We flew into Jacksonville International Airport today without problems, but when we had come back to pick S’s sister and her boyfriend up, I came upon the issue of the day: airport security.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about something of this nature since I am willing to give up some freedom if it means keeping me safe. However, in this particular instance, I feel we need to rethink things, even though I know it happens everywhere. We parked in front of the terminal to pick the two of them up and we waited for maybe 2 minutes before they arrived. Their luggage had not come out yet, so they brought their carry on bags to the car and went back inside. About 3 minutes later, security came over to tell us to “circle the lot if we weren’t loading anything.” I understand the reasoning for this; they don’t want people loitering around in front of the airport. It’s a reasonable idea – in New York, Washington, D.C., L.A., Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Toronto, you get the idea, the major airports. At Jacksonville International Airport, I can’t imagine too many terrorists hanging out in front of the terminal, waiting to blow it up. I also cannot imagine too many terrorists wanting to hijack a plane from that or any small market airport due to the nature of the size of the planes that fly in and out of them.

Terrorist: We have de plane.

FAA: You’re kidding right?

Terrorist: No. We are going to fly dis tirty-five seat Turboprop into de Des Moines Civic Center.

FAA: Ok buddy, you do that!

I know, I know, that’s mean, but I’m just playing a role here.

Seriously, are we worried about this? Maybe there is another reason I’m not thinking of or that no one has told me, but this is the reason I have been given and (insert hint of sarcasm here) I take the government’s word for everything, like a loyal citizen!

Again, I’m not opposed to giving up some freedom, but making me circle the lot when I know my party is inside waiting on their luggage to be brought out is a bit ridiculous.

Part II of this issue is the fact that I have to continuously circle the lot! With the price of gas these days, a potential energy shortage, the fact that I am driving a rental car and that 30 other cars are doing the same thing as well, causing a possible traffic accident, which then translates to my insurance rates going up; come on, let me stand by the curb for 5 minutes. Hell, you can run my drivers license through a background check if it makes this whole process easier.

The funny thing about this situation is that we were told to move not once, but twice and I thought about lying to get out of it the second time! After we came back around after the first couple laps, S had to use the restroom, so she parked and I was in the passenger seat. When the security officer came to my window and asked what I was doing I explained to him the situation and he asked me to move it…again. I wanted so bad to tell him that I didn’t have a drivers license and that I couldn’t move it, that we’d have to wait for either S, or the one of the others to come to the car, but I also did not want to know what the consequences would be if I said that. So I got out of the passenger seat and adjusted the driver seat and pulled away, made 4 laps, then stopped to finally pick up our party and head to our vacation destination.

A great start to this vacation.

No comments: