Wednesday, December 20, 2006

So bite your tongue, you're not the only one, who's been let down

I was recently accused of not working to my potential at my job. Ok, accused is not the correct word in this situation. It’s more as if I was flat-out told this. I have spent the last few days thinking about my situation here and what their reasons for believing this are.

This has been a complex problem to tackle because I’ve always been a hard worker and I am having a very difficult time seeing their point of view. I know that I am not working to what I feel is my potential and that, I feel, is due to the fact that I am simply not allowed to. I also know that there is a plethora of reasons I have a lack of productivity, again, mostly because I am not allowed to.

I’ve probably felt for about 12-14 months now, and I'm pretty sure it's because my opinions were never considered, when they were voiced in my first few months, as possible solutions to issues. My ideas on how to deal with the issues in this office, which is part of the management aspect of my job, are not valued in any sense. Often times now, I don’t bother to speak up, even when I feel strongly about an issue, because I know that my voice isn’t heard. After being shot down time and time again, one gets the feeling that they have very little worth in their position, thus creating an atmosphere of apathy and low self esteem, neither of which I have a problem with outside of this building.

I realize that I have three options: 1) If I continue on this path, I’ll probably be terminated in the next 3-6 months. 2) If I start speaking up, at least people will feel as though I’m participating and maybe they’ll take that as a sign that I’m trying, even if I know that my efforts are fruitless. 3) Point out why I feel the way I do and maybe enough of a change from others will occur that I will actually become slightly happier, thus more productive here.

I know this is not my career choice, that’s why I’m back in school. This is the “In the meantime” job to pay the bills; but I’m also using this job to gain experience working in an office environment.

When I worked in the restaurant, I was the head manager, I made numerous decisions without any supervision on a daily basis and my efforts were rewarded with raises and bonus money. I made more profit in that restaurant than they had ever seen previously. I had broken long-standing records; I created and fostered a fun, but hard-working environment in a location that had been nothing but a problem before I arrived. It’s also been nothing but problems since I’ve left. Running a successful business is very basic. It’s not as difficult as people make it out to be. Take care of the people who take care of you – your customers/clientele – they pay your salary! Take care of your employees, listen to them, and trust them – sometimes, they see areas of opportunity that even the brightest businessperson won’t see. Be honest with everyone you deal with. Whether it’s a client/customer, an employee or a vendor you regularly deal with; not being honest with those people will only hurt you later down the line. Don’t be stubborn. It’s ok to be cautious, but sometimes stubbornness is confused with cautiousness and there is a significant difference. Spend a little, save a little. It’s been said thousands of times, “You have to spend money to make money.” Not all spending is necessary. Know when to splurge and know when to pull the reigns in a bit, but never be penny wise and pound-foolish.

I know how to run a successful business. I think my record of accomplishments speak for themselves. So why won’t anyone listen to me?

No comments: