Saturday, December 24, 2005

Have a holly jolly Christmas

Where to begin? So many stories, so little time!

I arrived at the airport for my 114 pm flight a few minutes after 11 am figuring there is going to be a line at the ticket counter and a line to go through security, but I would still be early enough to have time to relax for a few minutes before boarding. Think again. At 1145 am, I was sitting in a seat at the gate waiting for the next hour and fifteen minutes to board my flight! There was no line at the ticket counter and I walked right up. I was about eighth or ninth in the line to go through security and I that didn’t take long either. So I plopped myself down, plugged in my laptop and here I am writing this post!

My flight to Atlanta was pleasant and the flight attendant was attractive and attentive, so that was nice.

When I arrived in Atlanta, I went right to the ticket counter to ask if I could get on standby for the earlier flight to Richmond, since I was on the last flight out, but wanted to get there earlier. The CSR asked if I carried on my bags and when I replied no, he said he was sorry, but I have to travel with my bags - even though we know this isn’t always true since luggage is lost all the time and if everyone were traveling with their bags, that would not occur – but I digress! So I consigned myself to my 5 hour layover and found a spot to plug myself in again and write this post! Remember all of this for future reference – you’ve been warned!

While I was waiting in line to speak with the CSR, there was a little boy, all of 3 years old sitting with his mother on the floor, near the gate. As every passenger passed by him, he yelled out, “Merry Christmas!” and we all thought it was funny and cute. The flight attendants waiting to board the plane were laughing hysterically, because it was pretty funny. The best part, however, was when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he yells, “Welcome to Atlanta!” followed by,“Happy Holidays!” and then he went back to his original greeting. It was so funny, if I had been in a bad mood, that surely would’ve turned it around.

I boarded my regularly scheduled flight around 855 thinking, “There is no way this plane is taking off on time (906 pm), but 15 minutes won’t kill us.” At 955 pm we finally pulled away from the gate after a few announcements from the Captain as to why we were still sitting there. At 1010 pm, we officially took off and at 1115 pm, we arrived at the gate in Richmond, almost 40 minutes late. I’m also going to mention that our landing was not bumpy, but it wasn’t smooth either. The term I am using is, “We Bounced.” Seriously, I think the pilot bounced us on the first touchdown and then eased it down again. It was a jarring landing, to say the least. Nonetheless, there is more!

I found my sister waiting for me and went to go get my luggage. After watching my entire flight find their luggage and leave the airport, we were left standing there, wondering where my bags are! So I trotted to the service counter and let the man know the situation. He asked for my last name and when I gave it to him he smiled, chuckled and said, “Your bags are already here, they came in on the earlier flight!” I asked him how that could’ve happened and he told me it happens all the time because the handlers don’t look at the time of the flight, the just see the code and put it on the next plane. So my bags and flew without me. Do you think they were scared of not being picked up?

No comments: